Saturday, October 18, 2008

My thoughts today...

This verse always stops me...

Romans 12:2
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world,
 but let God transform you into a new person 
by changing the way you think. 
Then you will learn to know God's will for you, 
which is good and pleasing and perfect.

I don't know about you but sometimes it's easy to see the way things are done in the world and before you know it, they become a habit or a part of your life. For example, the latest fashion style or attitudes towards others or the things we are told are fun... we conform and don't realize we've conformed. 

The Lord seems to use this verse to grab me and pull me back... and I wonder, what things have I allowed myself to copy? What behaviors and customs have I picked up and adopted as my own? "Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think". Such powerful words... and then it goes on to tell us that by God changing the way we think... we come to know what His will is for us. His will is good and pleasing and perfect but we don't see that when we follow the customs and behaviors of the world. In fact, we might tend to see God's way of thinking as restrictive if we listen to what the world says....

Lord, transform me into a new person by changing the way I think. Draw me up short when I'm falling into the behaviors and customs of this world. Make me aware of those things that pull me away from you and the path which is good and pleasing and perfect. 

Bonnelle

1 comment:

Kate Geisen said...

It is SO easy to be of the world, as well as IN it. And harder to pull out of it, once you're there.

What I really like about that quote is the "let God transform you..." part. We just have to be willing to let God act in our lives and in our minds, and He will change the way we think. Hearing those words helps me know that if I keep seeking him and let him, God will do the work. It may be hard for me, but nothing is too difficult for Him.

Hope you're having a good weekend!