Saturday, June 28, 2008

Consult the Lord...

The devotional for today was discussing the importance of keeping your word. The scripture portion that stuck out to me though was found in Joshua.

Joshua 9:14 (last part):
"...but they did not consult the Lord."

Joshua and the Isrealites did not consult the Lord when they met the Gibeonites and agreed to make a peace treaty with them. They were supposed to destroy the people of the land but because they were deceived, they did not realize what they were doing and agreed not to harm these men. Once they found out who they were there was nothing that could be done. They had agreed and made a vow so they had to honor it. As a result, the Gibeonites became the servants of the Isrealites...

What struck me about this was, how many times I just go on feeling rather than taking the time to consult the Lord. Many times I just 'go with it' rather than taking the time to pause and hear what He has to say. How many times could I avoid frustration or a bad situation if I would just take time to consult Him?

Lord, remind me of this passage when I get ready to make decisions. I ask for wisdom to make the right decisions. I pray that you would grant me the wisdom to know when I should wait. Jesus I want to make wise decisions and not just jump in on what 'feels' right. I want to be on and to stick to your path for my life. I don't want to waver off any more... Keep me close to your side and whisper in my ear - this is the way, walk in it.

Thank you Lord for being my companion.



No comments: