Friday, April 17, 2009

ah... the silence...

Sometimes there's nothing like the quiet of the house... well almost quiet. Doug's fish tank next to me needs to be filled so it's a little on the noisey side!

In thinking about silence tonight I was thinking on how to some... the silence can be a little frightening. They hear strange noises and are filled with fear. To some... the silence is peaceful and calming from all the noise that surrounds. I like times by myself because work is filled with stress and questions and at home... I see so much to do or I have people talking to me. I like the quiet though because in those moments... I hear Jesus whisper in my ear and when I don't... I feel His presence and it comforts me. 

Sometimes, though, in the silence His voice speaks deeply to my heart and I am face to face with my sin... like last night. I had shared information that wasn't really necessary to share and I was convicted by the sin of gossip. As I was walking into class the Lord started speaking to my heart. I repented of sharing things I shouldn't share and thought, "bad habits are hard to break"... and this scripture began to roll through my head:

"I want to do what is right but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway..." 

This was always a brain-twister for me because I couldn't grasp it but last night... I did and it was like the two-edge sword His word is... However, this is the next part:

"I have discovered this principle of life - that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably, do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin. So now... there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Sprit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death."  (Romans 7:18-8:2)

...and in the silence I realized... I'm just an over-weight woman who gossips and worries when I should trust but Thank God! Jesus Christ is my answer and He can save me from this sin and death! ... oh to trust Him more!

I am a sinner saved by His grace and I am Chosen and loved by Him!

Hallelujah!

3 comments:

natalie said...

Dear Friend,
I stumbled on to your blog tonight during my "quiet time". Sometimes it seems like things get so busy and "cluttered", that I forget how much I need my quiet time. Like you, that's when I hear God speak to me. I am going to try to focus more on "being still, and listening for our Heavenly Father.
I read some of your blog entries and just wanted to tell you how much of a blessing they were to me tonight.

Grace 2 U,
natalie

Cheri' said...

Over the years I have found I love the silence, because as you said, that's when I hear Him best. I loved your post and found your thoughts to be very precious insightful!

Kate Geisen said...

Hey, sweetie! It's been a while since I stopped by. I struggle with the same things...including making sense of those verses! The NIV version is almost a tongue twister. It reads so much clearer in the NLT and Message translations. I kind of got it in the NIV version, but then when I heard the other ones, it was like a light switching on!

I have made a concerted effort not to gossip, with varying success. I think, more than anything, I have become more aware of how it steals you peace. At one of Jacob's soccer games a couple of weeks ago, I made a comment that wasn't mean, but wasn't really very nice, either. The rest of the day I worried that the person I had said it to thought I was talking about HER when I had been referring to someone else. And then I realized that if I'd kept my mouth shut and opinions to myself I wouldn't have spent that time being anxious about something I could no longer control.

Hugs to you! May we always remember just how much we ALL need the cover of His Grace and sacrifice.